An new symptom we faced these days, that when you want to create a new Public Folder Database in Exchange 2007, you will get error message like this one "Exchange is unable to create a public folder tree", in the EMC you will find the wizard give you an error message like this one:
Summary: 2 item(s). 0 succeeded, 1 failed.
Elapsed time: 00:00:00
New Public Folder Database Failed
Error: Exchange is unable to create a public folder tree for the public folder database that you specified.
Active Directory operation failed on MSaad.MCS.com. The object 'CN=Public Folders,CN=Folder Hierarchies,CN=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT),CN=Administrative Groups,CN=Microsoft CS,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=MCS,DC=com' already exists.
The object exists.
Exchange Management Shell command attempted:
new-publicfolderdatabase -StorageGroup 'MSaad\First Storage Group' -Name 'Public Folder Database' -EdbFilePath 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Mailbox\First Storage Group\Public Folder Database.edb'
Elapsed Time: 00:00:01
Mount Public Folder Database Cancelled
Open adsiedit.msc and change the value of msExchPFTreeType to 1, let's do it step by step:
- Install adsiedit.msc (ship with windows server 2003 support tool run adsiedit.msc from RUN
- Expand Configuration [Server_Name.Domain_Name.Root_Domain], and then expand CN=Configuration,DC=Domain_Name ,DC=Root_Domain.
- Expand CN=Services, expand CN=Microsoft Exchange, expand CN=Domain_Name, expand CN=Administrative Groups, expand CN=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT), and then click CN=Folder Hierarchies.
- In the details pane, right-click CN=Public Folders, and then click Properties.
- In the Attributes list, click the msExchPFTreeType, and then click Edit.
- In the Value box, type 1, and then click OK two times.
- On the File menu, click Exit.
- In the Services snap-in, restart the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service.
Then create the PF DB again, it should work fine now.